How to replace a toilet
Whether you are trying to save money or just want to know if your handyman is doing the job properly, learning how to replace a toilet is something you can always use now or in the future. Take a look at our advise how to do remodel your bathroom by changing the toilet.
Here's how to replace a toilet for a new one.
- Before you take the old out one, be sure to measure the size of the closet bolts and trim. If the toilet is a bit tight, you can also measure the side of the walls to make sure the new one will fit without further cramping the limited space.
- Don't worry, most modern toilets come in standard sizes so it is quite easy to swap the old one for a new structure.
- Take your measurements to the nearest do it yourself centre and buy a new toilet.
- Before pulling out the old one, turn off the water supply. Flush the toilet to get rid of the water in the tank. Any remaining water in the bowl should be removed with a sponge or towels.
- Disconnect the pipes from the water tank and remove the nuts at the bottom of the closet bolts.
- Take out the old toilet. You will probably need the assistance of another person.
- Make sure to stuff the drain with a piece of cloth as it will smell bad of sewer gases.
- Clean the old wax ring with a putty knife. Make sure that the closet flange is not rusting. If it is, then you should replace it. Now is a good time to do it.
- Insert the new closet bolts. Turn the new toilet bowl upside down and put a new wax ring on the outlet.
- Remove the piece of cloth from the drain. With the help of another person, line up the toilet bowl into the holes of the closet bolts. Press around to make sure it is firmly plastered.
- Attach the washer and nuts over the bolts and tighten them. Put on the caps.
- Attach the tank and secure it with the nuts. Check that it is levelled.
- Connect water supply. Check that there are no leaks around the tank, water supply line and the base of the toilet.
- Attach the toilet seat and you're done.
Tools are important
When learning how to replace a toilet, make sure that you also know which tools to have on hand to make the job easier and faster. A putty knife, adjustable wrench and a couple of screwdrivers are basic things you would need as well as a measuring tape and a level tool.